Barbecue Grilled Steak and Smoked Cheddar Sandwich
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes (+10 minutes standing time)
Chimichurri Sauce :
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) diced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 strip loin steaks (8 to 10 oz/250 to 285 g each), about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cracked pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) barbecue sauce
- 4 brioche buns, split
- 8 slices Balderson® Natural Cheddar Slices Double Smoked
- 4 jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry
- 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- In a small bowl, whisk together parsley, oil, jalapeño, cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well. Pat steak dry.
- Season with pepper and salt; grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or until cooked as desired, basting with barbecue sauce during the last 2 minutes of grilling time.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill buns for 15 to 30 seconds or until lightly toasted.
- Slice steak; assemble in buns with chimichurri, cheese, roasted red peppers and arugula.
- Substitute ciabatta buns or focaccia buns for brioche buns if preferred.
- Substitute sirloin steaks or skirt steaks for strip loin steak if preferred.